Apr 12, 2020
In episode 323, Charles Reed Anderson, our long time guest of
the show and host of TechBurst Asia joins us to discuss his latest
venture, SparkLabs Connex, a new accelerator program for smart city
technologies under the SparkLabs Group. Before diving deep into the
new venture, Charles discuss the challenges of smart city rankings
and how they did not reflect the reality of what is happening on
the ground. Then he began to discuss the rationale of SparkLabs
Connex and why it is time to start an accelerator program
specifically on smart city technologies. Last but not least, he
break down how the global program works, offered his perspectives
on what types of entrepreneurs he would seek to fund and address
how SparkLabs Connex will operate in a COVID-19 world.
Here are the interesting show notes and links to the
discussion (with time-stamps included):
- Charles Anderson (@CRASingapore, LinkedIn), founder of Charles Reed Anderson and
Associates, host of
now general partner for SparkLabs Connex.
have you been up to since we last spoke? [1:10]
have recently written an article about
smart city rankings
and why the rankings do not reflect
reality. Can you talk about why this is the case?
- SparkLabs Connex
you briefly introduce your new venture SparkLabs Connex from the
SparkLabs Group? (Source:
are already a lot of incubators and accelerators across different
geographies, but very few have succeeded. Why do you think that
this is the time to start another one? [7:57]
are the industry verticals or technologies that SparkLabs Connex is
looking into? (5G, IoT, Smart Cities)? [9:15]
- How does the model work for
SparkLabs Connex and how does it work with the ecosystem, for
example, partners? [10:50]
- Why are the vendors willing to work with you as many
accelerators have been building partnerships across industries?
does SparkLabs Connex work for entrepreneurs? [15:05]
are the traits of startup founders that you will seek to invest in?
- What are the types of technologies which you will specifically
look into as you invest in the space? [22:00]
- Omate: elderly care watch from Shenzhen and expand in France
- Can you share the stories of early applicants into the program?
- Can you share the geographical profiles of startups in
SparkLabs Connex and whether there are preferences over some
- Are there any additional things which you want the applicants
to know? [27:40]
the recent coronavirus outbreak, do you think that it will slow
down the growth of IoT and 5G in the market? [28:25]
- How about technologies in IoT and 5G which might have come up
during the COVID-19 outbreak? [29:55]
- Press releases:
- Closing [32:30]
- Charles recommendations: Parag Khanna's "The Future is
- Where can we find him?
The show is hosted and produced by Carol Yin (@CarolYujiaYin) and
originally created by Bernard Leong (@bernardleong, Linkedin). Sound
credits for the intro music: Taro Iwashiro, "The Beginning" from
Red Cliff Soundtrack.